cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

help!!boot cannot load flash

bajiboye
Level 1
Level 1

please candid help on this, i'm actually using a 1720 router for practice and have to erase the flash for another practice. but unfirtunately he bring an error message that

Load prog: bad file magic number 0X0.

boot: cannot load flash.

he keep on going to rommon prompt. ive tried all i could but no way.

help!!!!

2 Replies 2

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

The message "bad file magic number" could indicate a number of things, including a flash that has gone bad. Anyways, if you are already in the rommon prompt, look for the existence of a valid image on the flash using the 'dir flash:' command. If a valid image exists, boot using that image. If no image exists or if it is corrupted, use the procedure as shown in the document 'ROMmon Recovery for the Cisco 1700 Series Router' at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_tech_note09186a00800942dc.shtml. If even that does not work, it is possible that the flash has gone bad.

Hi, I ahve same problem with my 1711,

My router shows that it has right image file in the flash dir but still won't boot.

I followed Recovery from ROMmon mode doc and no luck so far. Now let suppose that my image file has gone bad, where do i get one that is good for 1711 routers. For some reason my password would not allow me to download it from cisco.com

Is there a way that I can get a good image file for my 1711. Thanks