cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HELP!! my PIX 515's keep locking-up

mike-greene
Level 4
Level 4

Here at our company we sell a lot of LANtoLAN VPN solutions using 506,515R and 515UR hardware. In the past everything has worked very well and our clients have been extremely pleased with the results. But the last four 515's (3 515R's, 515UR) are having a lot of problems just passing packets. It seems they can run from 10 minutes to 4 days but still the firewalls seem to seize. And when I say seize I mean you can't even console to them. All the devices are running 6.0.1, usually with a VPN Accelerator card in them. But even just running the chaise alone with no card additions, the systems still freeze and need to be rebooted. I do have a case open with three of the 515's and we are going to RMA those devices. These three units came from the same vendor and pretty much left the assembly line one after another. This leads me to believe that maybe it was just a bad batch and Cisco is working to correct problem and get these units back before they made it to customer sites. This morning though, I had yet another 515 fail at our office that I have been testing for the past few days. This PIX came from a different vendor and was bought about 45 days ago. Has anyone else seen these problems with PIX 515's? Here at our company we preach and preach and preach that Cisco firewall and VPN solutions are the best in the business. It's hard to sell and have confidence in that solution if the 515's that you are putting into place will not run for more than 30 minutes usually.

Thank you, any comments would be great.

23 Replies 23

thompson
Level 1
Level 1

I recieved a second PIX 515 with an older manufacturing date (Nov 2000) and with great relief all is working as it should.

how do you determine the manufacturing date, and what version of PIX are you running. I am just configging one up which seems to hang when ever I cut it from the test environment to live.

Is the 515 a lemon?

cheers

RIch

Apparently any PIX 515 with a serial number

4440520***** is part of a bad batch.

mike-greene
Level 4
Level 4

We talked a TAC engineer yesterday about this issue and he told us that the batch of bad 515's that are out is a pretty big number. Big enough that if you RMAed a 515 within the last 3 weeks , chances are you will recieve another bad 515. Looks like this is going to take a while to resolve.

JOSH GANT
Level 1
Level 1

Several of our clients have had problems with 515's. Here is some interesting info:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/770/fn9871.shtml

schorb
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I had an open case for over 6 weeks. Since yesterday, the case is resolved. CISCO will give you a new PIX 515, because there is a hardware-problem in the new 515-models. Contact the CISCO TAC.

Frank

toshei
Level 1
Level 1

See Field notice:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/770/fn15490.shtml

We just had our 515 replaced. The replacement procedure is listed in the notice.

dpelea
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

You have to visit this site to confirm if it is affected of a manufacturers defect. If it is then you can ask for a replacement to Cisco System. Please note down the serial number and compare it.

here's the site - http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/770/fn15490.shtml

regards,

dennis

g-holmes
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for been late..

I've installed a pix 515ur and a 515fo.Everything was working fine then bang, the pix started to hang/freeze. I contacted my supplier who stated that certain batches built between may2001 and oct 2001 were suspect and cisco are issusing a recall. This has left me in ... you can guess, but if I drop the speed to 10mbs it seems to help also i've been informed that memory is the suspect but at this moment in time i'll beleave anything..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card