Views
Helpful
Replies

High-availability VPN: dual 3k in the hub and Pixes as spokes

m.laporta
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts.

In my scenario, I need routing between spokes and, most importantly, high availability (HA).

In the spokes I have Pix 501/506E, OS ver 6.3. In the hub I have a couple of redundant VPN3k.

Which mechanism is the best:

1. Hub-and spoke topology with EzVPN Remote in the spokes - For HA, can I leverage the "load balancing" feature of the VPN3k?

2. Hub-and spoke topology with EzVPN Remote in the spokes - For HA, can I leverage the "backup server" feature of the VPN3k?

3. Any-to-any topology (an IPSEC tunnel between any pair of sites) - For HA, can I leverage the "backup LAN-to-LAN" feature of the VPN3k?

Thank you

michele

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'd go with load-balancing over the backup server. With load balancing your connections are going to be spread over the two concentrators. If one concentrator does die, then at least it'll only affect half your connections, rather than all of them if your primary dies and you're using backup servers.

If a concentrator does die, your PIX connections will drop out for a short period, but they'll be able to reconnect back automatically without you making any changes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'd go with load-balancing over the backup server. With load balancing your connections are going to be spread over the two concentrators. If one concentrator does die, then at least it'll only affect half your connections, rather than all of them if your primary dies and you're using backup servers.

If a concentrator does die, your PIX connections will drop out for a short period, but they'll be able to reconnect back automatically without you making any changes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: