Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

how can an IOS Router push an IP Address to a VPN CLient 3.x ?

I would like to set up a Remote VPN Connexion between an IOS Router and a VPN Client 3.x.

I would like the IOS Router to push an IP Address into the client so that when the client makes for example an ipconfig we could see his new address.

This is well documented for a VPN 1.x, but I can't find anything for the 3.x client. Is it possible with that client or should I need to use a VPN Concentrator ?

Any idea or links ?

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: how can an IOS Router push an IP Address to a VPN CLient 3.x

The router or the VPN concentrator can all push IP addresses to the client, no problem there. Trouble is you won't see it with an ipconfig /all command due to the type of adapter the VPN client uses. The VPN client uses a SHIM adapter which inserts itself into the IP stack on the PC, but is never really "seen". This is different to the virtual adapter that the 1.x client uses which basically looks like any other adapter and can then be seen with ipconfig /all. The only place you can see the IP address that the VPN client received is to double-click on the padlock icon in the task bar and it'll tell you there. A router sample config is here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/ios_usr_rad.html (note the "pool" command)

A proposed feature for the 4.0 version of the VPN client is to use a virtual adapter which will then be seen in an ipconfig /all. This won't be out till probably the 2nd quarter this year though.

Re: how can an IOS Router push an IP Address to a VPN CLient 3.x

Hopefully some one will correct me if I'm wrong, but I've interpreted this statement to do the dhcp:

crypto isakmp client configuration group 3000client

key cisco123

--> pool ippool

and

--> ip local pool ippool 14.1.1.100 14.1.1.200

Views
Helpful
Replies