Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you change the MTU size in a Cisco 871?

This 871 is at a remote site and is an ezvpn IPsec client (network extension mode) back to a 3030 headend.

We're having problems with a PC trying to connect through the IPsec tunnel and we think it may be an MTU size problem.

Int F4 is the outside interface.

We are using a virtual-template associated with the crypto ipsec client ezvpn statement.

When I go into any of the 871 interfaces and type 'mtu 1370' it errors out with 'The F4 (or whatever interface) does not allow manual MTU size configuration.

If I type 'ip mtu 1370' on F4 (or vlan1 or virtual-template 1) this is accepted, but when I do a 'show int f 4', it still shows MTU of 1514 - even after a reload.

What is the correct way to set the MTU size in the 871 router - and is it best set on the F4 interface, the vlan, or the virtual-template interface?

2 REPLIES

Re: How do you change the MTU size in a Cisco 871?

Hi

As per the supporting doc Cisco 871 has one want ethernet interface and 2 switch ports.

I feel you are trying to change the mtu under the switch port which may not be possible.

You can refer the below link for more info..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

regds

Re: How do you change the MTU size in a Cisco 871?

I figured out how to set the MTU. Under the vlan interface that the 4 'private' fastethernet ports are part of, I added this line:

'ip tcp adjust-mss 1330'

...this gives us an MTU of 1370 (adding the 40 byte header to the MSS) and now all is well.

Thanks for responding!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content