cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you change the MTU size in a Cisco 871?

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

This 871 is at a remote site and is an ezvpn IPsec client (network extension mode) back to a 3030 headend.

We're having problems with a PC trying to connect through the IPsec tunnel and we think it may be an MTU size problem.

Int F4 is the outside interface.

We are using a virtual-template associated with the crypto ipsec client ezvpn statement.

When I go into any of the 871 interfaces and type 'mtu 1370' it errors out with 'The F4 (or whatever interface) does not allow manual MTU size configuration.

If I type 'ip mtu 1370' on F4 (or vlan1 or virtual-template 1) this is accepted, but when I do a 'show int f 4', it still shows MTU of 1514 - even after a reload.

What is the correct way to set the MTU size in the 871 router - and is it best set on the F4 interface, the vlan, or the virtual-template interface?

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

As per the supporting doc Cisco 871 has one want ethernet interface and 2 switch ports.

I feel you are trying to change the mtu under the switch port which may not be possible.

You can refer the below link for more info..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

regds

I figured out how to set the MTU. Under the vlan interface that the 4 'private' fastethernet ports are part of, I added this line:

'ip tcp adjust-mss 1330'

...this gives us an MTU of 1370 (adding the 40 byte header to the MSS) and now all is well.

Thanks for responding!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: