cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how many ipsec tunnels on what hardware?

beens
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we are planning to use an 2621 with 8 BRI's as an access router. Between the clients and the access router we want to build ipsec 3des tunnels (without hardware encryption modules). So a max of 16 tunnels will have to be terminated on the 2621. Is there any information (table) available with information how many tunnels can be terminated on which hardware without bringing the CPU to 100%? I looked on CCO but could not find it. Any help is welcome.

Thanx,

Eric

2 Replies 2

ikouznetsov
Level 1
Level 1

2621 can serve up to 128 tunnel, however, the issue here is throughput. Depending on the transform set, I would say for a 2621 without VPN module maximum summary traffic could be 400kbps. For your load if I were you I would've considered the hardware purchase

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/2600/prodlit/kaos_ds.htm

thanx for the info. Maybe we will consider the VPN module after all or we will have to look for an solution outside of the router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: