cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how much bandwidth IPSEC tunnel consumes on Link

j-beltzner
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know how much bandwidth each IPSEC tunnel consumes on the Link (6MB pipe). We were told a IPSECTunnel on a 1544k link can use a max of 250k w/ out vpn acceslerator card because of the overhead, what is the IPSEC tunnel doing to the Internet Pipe. How many vpn tunnel can traverses this link before the connection is saturated.

7 Replies 7

jerry.roy
Level 1
Level 1

It is true, with IPsec and No VPN Module - 256k is the max

so... 6meg / 256k = 24 Constant IPSEC transfers

or... 1.54meg / 256k = 6

how many bandwith i need to vpn tunnel?

I know that without an aim\VPN card or a beefy 3005 or bigger router. you can only push throughput at 256k w\the aim /vpn card it moves up to 2M the it not a bandidth issue in that respect but a processor issue.

i have a 1750 with vpn module, but the link is only 128Kbp,and i don't know how is the min. bandwith for vpn tunnel

you can do vpn over a 56k phone line its an application issue. will your application function efficiently over 128k and will your user find it acceptable at 128K.

Hi,

It will be 256K with only the software doing the VPN. About 2 Megs With The VPN Module.

j-beltzner
Level 1
Level 1

thanks guys,

thats what I was thinking. i was just looking for any additional design concerns. if you hear of any additional bandiwdth concerns give me a shout.

jason.beltzner@ibx.com. I will also check this forum regulary.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: