cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Configure HA for ASA 5510 - My first time !!!!! HELP!!!

wearingsa
Level 1
Level 1

I need to connect 2 ASA 5510 in a HA setup. I'm not sure about the cable types (x-ovr or straight) for the State connection, heart beat connection and where they should be connected. Also I was told the State connection needs to be on a switch or separate VLAN...Is this true...?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jwjohansen
Level 1
Level 1

We use a x-over for the failover from one int on the primary ASA to the secondary ASA and it works fine .

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cables are straight-thru. They should be connected to a switch and in the same VLAN.

HTH

jwjohansen
Level 1
Level 1

We use a x-over for the failover from one int on the primary ASA to the secondary ASA and it works fine .

Thanks a lot...Do you have the heart beat connected also...? If so does that use a straight or x-over...?

Cross-over cables are not supported. Here's a good link on setting up fail-over.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008063b31a.html

After doing some more indepth research I have found the following info to support the use of x-ovr cables;

LAN-Based Failover Link

You can connect the LAN-based failover link by using a dedicated switch with no hosts or routers on the link or by using a crossover Ethernet cable to link the units directly.

Stateful Failover Link

If you are using a dedicated Ethernet interface for the Stateful Failover link, you can use either a switch or a crossover cable to directly connect the units. If you use a switch, no other hosts or routers should be on this link.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008063b31a.html

Thanks for response to my question...It was very helpful..

It is not stateful then.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card