cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Configure HA for ASA 5510 - My first time !!!!! HELP!!!

wearingsa
Level 1
Level 1

I need to connect 2 ASA 5510 in a HA setup. I'm not sure about the cable types (x-ovr or straight) for the State connection, heart beat connection and where they should be connected. Also I was told the State connection needs to be on a switch or separate VLAN...Is this true...?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jwjohansen
Level 1
Level 1

We use a x-over for the failover from one int on the primary ASA to the secondary ASA and it works fine .

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cables are straight-thru. They should be connected to a switch and in the same VLAN.

HTH

jwjohansen
Level 1
Level 1

We use a x-over for the failover from one int on the primary ASA to the secondary ASA and it works fine .

Thanks a lot...Do you have the heart beat connected also...? If so does that use a straight or x-over...?

Cross-over cables are not supported. Here's a good link on setting up fail-over.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008063b31a.html

After doing some more indepth research I have found the following info to support the use of x-ovr cables;

LAN-Based Failover Link

You can connect the LAN-based failover link by using a dedicated switch with no hosts or routers on the link or by using a crossover Ethernet cable to link the units directly.

Stateful Failover Link

If you are using a dedicated Ethernet interface for the Stateful Failover link, you can use either a switch or a crossover cable to directly connect the units. If you use a switch, no other hosts or routers should be on this link.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008063b31a.html

Thanks for response to my question...It was very helpful..

It is not stateful then.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card