Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to connect VPN3000 to 2511 Terminal Server with Breakout cable?

Hi all,

I searched around, but couldn't find the answer to this:

I've configured a 2511 router as a terminal server that I'll have dialin access to should something on the network break when I'm away. I've connected it to most of my network equipment, except I can't seem to get the VPN 3000 working. Please help!

I created an RJ45-to-DB9 adapter with the following pinout, but it didn't work:

2511-RJ45 | VPN-DB9

CTS 1 | 7 RTS

DSR 2 | 4 DTR

RxD 3 | 3 TxD

Gnd 4 |

Gnd 5 | 5 Gnd

TxD 6 | 2 RxD

DTR 7 | 6 DSR

RTS 8 | 9 CTS

I believe I've labled each pin corrently on both sides, as per what documentation I could find, but it doesnt' seem to work. I know the VPN300 crosses its transmit and receive pins to allow you to use a straight through serial cable when connecting to a PC, so I believe this layout should work...but it doesn't.

Please help!

Thanks!

-ryan.

4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: How to connect VPN3000 to 2511 Terminal Server with Breakout

I think you should use a rollover cable . That is what I have used and it seems to work fine.

Thanks for your help, however are you sure you used a rollover on that specific hardware? (VPN 3000).

Anyway, for anyone interested, I just finished setting up a terminal server that connects to 4 normal Cisco consoles, 2 Nokia consoles, a VPN 3000 and a CSS 11000 console. I finally got all the pinouts right with a custom serial adapter and a custom CAT5 cable. If anyone would like the pinouts, let me know, I can forward on the Excel document I made.

Thanks,

-ryan.

Hi Ryan,

I am facing the same problem for connect the terminal server to VPN3000. Please send the excel doc to me at choh-koon.tan@hp.com

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

You've got mail :)

Views
Helpful
Replies