Views
Helpful
Replies

how to discover PIX525E with ciscoview?

zhiminwang
Level 1
Level 1

hi,everyone.

i have intstalled ciscoworks 2000 ver 4,that sounds ok.

but the ciscoview have some problem.

that is,ciscoview can discovery these cisco products,like 2600,3600,2924xl...

but cannot find the pix525.

what should i do?

thanks

7 Replies 7

kgraham
Level 1
Level 1

My answer is more of a thought than a fact I know.

The PIX may not be discoverable via "cdp neighbor" possibly as a security feature so it cannot be found by anyone seeking access into your network. If CiscoView uses Cisco's cdp to discover devices throughout the network this would make the PIX undiscoverable.

Kim

thanks for your reply

and i config SNMP in the pix.

can i discovery with this?

Yes, SNMP works with the PIX. Below is a url to the supported MIBs per version.

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/supportlists/pix/pix-supportlist.html

Kim

mklaphek
Level 1
Level 1

We may be talking apples and oranges here. CiscoView does not discover devices. The discovery component of CiscoWorks is the Campus Manager. Keep in mind that Campus Manager discovers networks using two mechanisms: CDP and ILMI (if you have an ATM network).

The PIX does not support CDP (or ILMI) and therefore won't be discovered by Campus Manager.

If I am incorrect, someone please let me know. Hope this helps.

What should I do then?

Should I install PIX device manager software or continue to configure SNMP in this PIX525?

I just want to manager this PIX firewall.

thanks all

I'm having the same problem with a PIX 515 and Ciscoview (with CW 2000/RME installed). When I login to Ciscoworks, highlight my 515, and device discovery begins, it comes back with "unsupported device".

The PIX device package for CiscoView only seems to support the PIX 506 and I haven't had any luck getting CiscoView to work with my 515 :( .. Has anyone had success with this?

cweatherford
Level 1
Level 1

I have added my Pix 520 in CiscoView. I manually added it via Resource Manager Essentials\Administration\Inventory\Add Devices.

I did have to set SNMP up in order for this to work. Is this what you are trying to do?