Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How to get VPN Clients

Just bought a PIX 501 and installed. I want to allow outside users to access the internal network behind the PIX. I am trying to determine whether to use the Cisco VPN clients or PPTP to an NT server.

1. Is there a speed difference between these two solutions?

2. I have read that there are limits to the number of VPN client connections that are allowed with the Cisco clients. Does anyone know for sure what these are.

3. How do you get the Cisco Client software, and how much does it cost. I can't seem to figure out where to find the software.

Thank you for the help in advance.

Ben

• Other Security Subjects
1 REPLY
Silver

Re: How to get VPN Clients

1. Go with Cisco. I am a 2xMCSE, for what it is worth, but almost always recommend the cisco client route:

the cisco client has a feature where it works behind nat routers

by separating the vpn from the nt/2k environment, all of your eggs aren't in one basket - if the server has issues, you might still be able to VPN to the pix, and diagnose it, whereas when the server is the vpn head end you=toast

2. PIX 501 allows 10 concurrent vpn tunnels, max, be they site to site tunnels, or end users tunnels.

3. client software should be on the cd that came with the pix, as well as downloadable via your TAC account. software is free, and no user counts on it - you can install it on 10k pcs, even though your pix 501 only supports 10 tunnels. another huge plus for the cisco solution

Views
Helpful
Replies