cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to VPN out from inside a 'corporate firewall'?

dave8775
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! How does one VPN out from a 'behind the corporate firewall' scenario to a remote network? What needs to be configured on the corporate firewall to allow a client VPN to establish a VPN connection to the remote network...?

Specifically, my company has a firewall that does not allow direct connections to any outside address. For example, if I want to ssh to an outside host I need to request that they map an internal address to the external address I need to get to and then open the firewall for that specific SSH connection.

How would one do the same for VPN connections (I am using CISCO VPN client)? What ports/etc does the VPN client need open to establish the connection? Where can I read technical docs regarding this matter?

Your help is much appreciated!!!

Cheers,

David

2 Replies 2

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

If memory serves: ES 50, UDP 500 and UDP 10000 are used

I think that anything UDP will be stopped by the firewall, right...? Isn't there a setting on the VPN client that allows you to use TCP instead? If I were to choose that TCP option and request an internal mapping of say 10.10.1.125 port 22 to map to 212.2.1.12 port 97 (or whichever is the VPN standard port?) and then configure the client as if the remote host was the internal address (10.10.1.125 port 22) whoud that work?

Let me know if this makes sense?

Cheers,

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: