Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

HSRP Failover

I have configured HSRP with the following config;

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

standby 1 ip x.x.x.x

standby 1 priority 101

standby 1 preempt

standby 1 track GigabitEthernet0/1

standby 1 track GigabitEthernet1/0

standby 1 track GigabitEthernet2/0

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

standby 2 ip x.x.x.x

standby 2 priority 101

standby 2 preempt

standby 2 track GigabitEthernet1/0

standby 2 track GigabitEthernet2/0

standby 2 track GigabitEthernet0/0

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0

standby 3 ip x.x.x.x

standby 3 priority 101

standby 3 preempt

standby 3 track GigabitEthernet0/1

standby 3 track GigabitEthernet2/0

standby 3 track GigabitEthernet0/0

!

interface GigabitEthernet2/0

standby 4 ip x.x.x.x

standby 4 priority 101

standby 4 preempt

standby 4 track GigabitEthernet0/1

standby 4 track GigabitEthernet1/0

standby 4 track GigabitEthernet0/0

I am using the standby track command and want the router to failover to the other if any interfaces go down. At the moment, only the interface that goes down is failed over to the other router.

Any suggestions?

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: HSRP Failover

The config that you posted looks pretty reasonable. To really understand what is happening and to be able to answer your question we also need to see the configuration of the other HSRP peer. In particular we need to see what, if anything, the other device is doing with priority and to verify that the other device is configured with preempt. We also need to know if the other device is perhaps doing its own track of these interfaces. It might also be helpful to see the output of show standby.

My first guess at the issue is based on your description of the symptoms. One thing that would produce the symptoms that you describe is if the other HSRP peer does not have preempt in its configuration. What the track feature does is that when it detects that the tracked interface is protocol down it lowers the priority of the device. If the peer who has been "standby" gets a higher priority than the "active" and has preempt then that router becomes the new active HSRP router. But if the standby router gets a higher priority but does not have preempt then it is not able to take over as the new primary.

My second guess is that if the other HSRP peer happens to be tracking the same set of interfaces, that when there is an interface failure that both routers might be lowering their priority and there is no failover because the priority relationship has not changed (both routers have lowered their priority).

So provide us with the additional information and we may be able to find answers for your question.

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the response Rick..

The other router is configured in exactly the same way.

bump

bump

try to add a decrement value after each track. the default priority is 100.

standby 1 track "int" 20

20 is the decrement value if the tracked interface goes down

Hall of Fame Super Silver

This new response caused me to take a fresh look at the question. Perhaps we need a more clear description of what happens. From the description in the original post I gather that there is some issue on one of the interfaces, which causes HSRP messages to fail, and that interface does fail over to the standby. But the other interfaces do not fail over.

It would help to see the output of show interface of the problem interface or perhaps show ip interface brief when this problem happens. We need to see whether the interface still shows as up/up or does it show as up/down? If it is up/down then HSRP should have failed over. But if it is up/up then HSRP will not fail over.

It is a bit tricky to track an LAN interface like Ethernet/FastEthernet/GigabitEthernet because you may lose end to end connectivity but the interface will still show up/up.

Perhaps the original poster can clarify the interface status when the problem happens.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content