Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

New Member

IDS 4210 Memory Upgrade

Hi All,

Recently, I upgraded both the memory and software image to 512 Mb and 4.1 S76 on the IDS 4210. Now, the memory utilization is going through the roof at over 90% after installing 4.1. I can't seem to be able to log on to IDS browser admininstration page as the page keeps flashing after entering username and password. This seems to me a memory issue. What is the maximum allowed memory for this IDS 4210 box?? I would appreciate it if anyone can provide some insights on this.

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: IDS 4210 Memory Upgrade

How are you checking the memmory utilization?

If you are looking at the "show version" output then this memmory utilization is misleading.

The "show version" output shows how much memmory is being used by both the processes as well as what has been cached by the system for file I/O.

It is normal for the "show version" output for memmory to be inthe high 90s.

The processes may only be using 50 or 60% and the system may be using the remaining 40% for file caching for faster disk access.

The better method for determining memmory utilization is to login with the "service" account and use the top command. This way you can see what amount of memmory is being used by the system for file caching:

6:36pm up 158 days, 2:00, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.01, 0.00

63 processes: 61 sleeping, 2 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped

CPU states: 0.1% user, 1.3% system, 0.0% nice, 98.4% idle

Mem: 513220K av, 324908K used, 188312K free, 0K shrd, 19148K buff

Swap: 0K av, 0K used, 0K free 48036K cached

You may be correct and be having a memmory problem, or it may actually be another issue.

I would recommend rebooting the sensor and trying again.

If the problem is still ocurring try contacting the TAC for assistance.

81
Views
0
Helpful
1
Replies