cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDS 4210 - Upgrade from S39 to S40 Caused System To Stop Working

smartin
Level 1
Level 1

Upgraded the 4210 from S39 to S40, everything seemed normal but after the server restarted itself I can't access the 4210 from web, telnet, console, even tried attaching a monitor and a keyboard, nothing.

Cold booted, light indication tells me the system is booting, see activity on the two network ports.

Any suggestions ???

8 Replies 8

rwassom
Level 1
Level 1

What kind of messages did you see when you attached a keyboard and monitor to the system? A screen capture would be great. If the system is coming up at all, you should be able to see some indication of the problem using a console or keyboard/monitor (error messages, final output to screen, etc.).

When I attach a monitor & keyboard I don't get any responce on the monitor, blank screen and no lights on the keyboard.

Could this be a hardware problem ??

I had the same problem with my 4210. I tried the cold boot as well and nothing. I then tried a soft reboot with the reset button on the front of the 4210 and everything booted up fine> No problems since.

Give that man a cigar, it worked !!

Wondering way a cold boot wouldn't have corrected this problem ??

Thanks for the help !!

Are you certain the system powered off completely when you pressed the power button before? Keep in mind that the system may not shut down immediately if you press the power button when it is in an unstable state. You may have to hold the power button down until the system shuts off. This is a side affect of the soft power features of the motherboard.

I don't know about smartin, but I disconnected the power cable completely. Then plugged it back in and still got nothing on the monitor I had plugged into it. Then I pressed the reset button on the front and everything booted up fine and I could see the boot process on the monitor.

??????

Same here, I too disconnected the power cable completely.

Were you pressing the power button using the button on the bezel? If so, maybe it is not making good contact with the actual button underneath. The reset button does not have a corresponding button on the bezel, so it must be pressed directly.

I will look at this further in our lab to see if I can duplicate the problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: