cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ids and alternate routes

rchester
Level 1
Level 1

I am yet to play with Cisco Secure IDS, but need a couple of answers if anyone is willing ;-)

How does a probe find alternate routes to the director??

Is it based on normal routing via a gateway?

If contact is lost to the director does the probe continue to log to a local store?

reload in 25 years
2 Replies 2

scothrel
Level 3
Level 3

I'm not sure I understand the first question...normal communications are established using "normal routing" via a default gateway from the sensor. The sensor(probe) can be configured to report to multiple directors if you want redundancy, but it still has one network connection. [the sensor has one network interface for the monitored network and one network interface for command & control. Our standard recommendation is to run C&C on a network separate from the monitored network eg. out of band]

As for the lost contact question, the answer is yes. Alarms will be logged on the local system until contact is re-established, at which time they will be forwarded to the director.

Excellent response, just exactly what I wanted to know.

Thanx again

reload in 25 years
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: