cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IDS implementation

edgrant
Level 1
Level 1

I have a single PIX setup w/ only an internal and external zones. I was wondering how long it should take me to install and configure a 4235 IDS behind my PIX. I am curious and would like to monitor if any attacks are actually getting through my PIX. I also have a client that would like me to have an IDS implemented before they decide to host with my company. Unforunately I have no experiece with the Cisco IDS, so any help would be appreciated. I understand that there are MANY ways to conifgure the IDS depending on your network layout. I am merely looking for a "ballpark" figure for an IDS implementation in a simple network with only one PIX.

TIA

1 Reply 1

mcerha
Level 3
Level 3

Setting up a 4235 should take you about ~10 minutes to get up and running, excluding the physical hookups. That is the easy part. The more difficult task is tuning the IDS for your particular environment. Out of the box, the IDS should provide pretty good coverage, but it's strongly advised that you spend some time to properly tune the sensor. The IDS documentation covers all of the fine points.