Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IDSM in PwrDown, can't boot to cf:1 even

After an RPR failover between my supervisors, my IDSM2 went into pwrdown after failing boot diagnostics. If I 'power enable module 9', then immediately 'hw-module module 9 reset cf:1' the module goes to status 'other' for a while, then goes back to 'PwrDown'. Is my module toast and will this happen again if there's another failover?

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: IDSM in PwrDown, can't boot to cf:1 even

What kind of switch chassis is the IDSM-2 in? What IOS version is running on your switch? Do you have enough power for all the modules in the switch? That will help investigation of why the IDSM-2 went into the powerdown state when your supervisors did a failover.

Also, regarding your usage of "immediately"...

You cannot *immediately* reset the module after powering it up. You need to wait until it is booted up (status is "ok" via "show mod" executed from the switch cli) before issuing a reset. Maybe you did do that, though?

Recommendation for now:

Since your module is powered off, I suggest you set the IOS default boot partition for the IDSM-2 to be cf:1 and then power up the IDSM-2 then it will boot to the MP straight away. For example,

1. in IOS, do "conf t"

2. type "boot device module cf:1"

3. type "power enable module

You may want to session to the IDSM-2 MP and re-image the AP. We do lots of testing with resetting the IDSM-2, shutting it down, and power cycling it, but it's generally a bad idea to reset or power cycle before it's booted up.

4. re-image the AP via the MP upgrade command

5. exit from the IDSM-2 MP

6. reset the boot device to "hdd:1"

7. reset the IDSM-2 from the IOS CLI

It's actually failing diagnostics on the way up:

# more diaginfo_mod9_20040326-125544

Online Diagnostic Result for Module 9 : MAJOR ERROR

Online Diagnostic Level when Module 9 came up = Minimal

Test Results: (. = Pass, F = Fail, U = Unknown)

1 . TestPortASICLoopback :

Port 1 2 3 4

----------------

. . . .

2 . TestPCLoopback :

Port 1 2 3 4

----------------

. . . F

3 . TestNetflowInlineRewrite :

Port 1 2 3 4

----------------

U U U U

So I think I'm going to need to RMA the card.

Simon

Cisco Employee

Hi Simon,

Before you RMA it, you should check that the ribbon cable connecting the Falcon board to the motherboard on the IDSM-2 is fully connected at both ends. Sometimes that has been found to be the cause of PC Loopback failures.

Hope that helps,

Ward

Views
Helpful
Replies