Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Implementing VAP and/or Remote Control with 1600 Router

Our nonprofit organization has a 1600 router currently allowing internet access via one IP address. The router now acts as our firewall. We however have other IP addresses available.

We would like to set up a VPN and/or PC-Anywhere type remote control. Our primary network is Novell 5.0. I think some of the possiblilties include:

1) Setting up the 1600 to forward a port/IP address to an NT2000 server and then using their VPN implementation.

2) Possibly using the 1600 as a "firewall" and doing just remote control with PC-Anywhere and its security. I somehow thing that a router is capable of letting in just prespecified static IP addresses of our users. This of course sounds the easiest.

3) Using some CISCO VPN implementation that I am currently unaware of.

4) Something else???

We would expect 5 to 10 such users and would like the solution to not cost a lot. We already have an NT2000 server.

Lastly, I we were to use VPN across the internet to remotely open and update database files, how reliable is VPN? How often in practice do errors occure? I know remote control for data would be safe.

This is a frustrating topic for me as information that I can find is too general or too complicated. I need basics and advice.

Thanks, Alan

2 REPLIES

Re: Implementing VAP and/or Remote Control with 1600 Router

Your best bet (and most secure) would be to use the VPN 3000 client and setup the 1600 to allow VPN connections inbound, this way you will be able to control what the VPN users access too. All this will depend on the IOS/Memory in your router, you may need to upgrade. Also, bear in mind that you'll be using up your internet bandwidth.

Bronze

Re: Implementing VAP and/or Remote Control with 1600 Router

I would setup the VPN to terminate at the 1600 for only 5-10 users. You would install a vpn client on the remote machines and you’re done. If you use Microsoft’s VPN, you have to have a staticly mapped NAT address for the RAS server through the router. I think they only do 56 bit encryption with PPTP so you might want something stronger (Ipsec 3DES) if your information is highly confidential. The Cisco client can do that. I would start by really understanding the technology. It’s starting to become very stable and reliable on current versions of code so it will provide you what you are looking for there. Start here:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/so/neso/vpn/vpne/vpn21_rg.htm

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content