Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Increasing the UDP pacter sizes...

Hell-o,

We just upgraded our servers to Windows 2003 and our PIX 515e to the lasted image file.

We are still experiencing slow access to some web sites. Microsoft document 832223 says to contact our firewall vendor for specifics on increasing the size of exceptable UPD packets.

Can you advise on this issue and supply the syntax to increase the UDP packet size?

TIA,

Gary

• Other Security Subjects
4 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Increasing the UDP pacter sizes...

you are probably best off following that document to disable that "feature" on your 2003 servers.

Basically, it sounds like MSFT is hoping the entire planet will tweak *their* dns servers for the benefit of people running 2003 server for dns. Why they did this is bizarre - I am fairly certain that nothing has changed standards wise such that everyone should be able to handle udp dns packets over 512 bytes

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832223

I concur, we never had an issue with udp packet sizes with Windows 2000. All we did was upgrade to Windows 2003 and these generated the issue. I open a pay support with Microsoft over this issue and all they did was add forwarders to the dns config that were not needed before. This helped, but are access to certain url's is still very flakey.

Appreciate your feedback and comments. Maybe Microsoft thinks the rest of world is all crazy but them??

TIA,

Gary

Would still like to know who to increase the packet size for UPD on our PIX515e also. Please advise if anyone knows the proceedure.

TIA,

Gary

There is a new fixup for v6.3.(2)

[no] fixup protocol dns [maximum-length <512-65535>].

Just configure the byte length for your UDP DNS packet size you want and this will fix your problem.

RJ

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.