cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

increasing vpn speed

cfajardo1_2
Level 1
Level 1

my customer feels that his VPN site to site (using pix 515 R) is very slow.

I was thinking to install the VAC. Is this possible on a restricted 515e?

Or do you have any alternative suggestion to increase the VPN speed since he is adding 2 more sites?

thanks

3 Replies 3

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

it's feasible to install vac on a restricted 515e.

more importantly, how slow is the speed? the speed of vpn is depending on the internet link. according to the data sheet,

168-bit 3DES IPSec VPN throughput: Up to 135 Mbps with VAC+ or 63 Mbps with VAC

128-bit AES IPSec VPN throughput: Up to 130 Mbps with VAC+

256-bit AES IPSec VPN throughput: Up to 130 Mbps with VAC+

let say 3des without vac. 63Mbps would be much faster than the internet link.

thanks..is there any cisco box that could enhance the speed? my customer was telling about some vpn compression box they are using in one of the country they are catering.

thanks

Hello,

I ran into "customer feelings" a couple of times. Usually this ends up with understanding an application and finally learning something about (bad) application programming.

The first thing I would do in your case is to figure out where the customer "feelings" about slowness come from.

What is slow?

F.e. running a database application with thousands of small packets for a request across the internet can not be cured by any "magic box". It is just round trip time multiplied with number of packets to Ack. And as long as "Scotty or Spock do not reveal the Warp thing" we will be limited by speed of light.

You can of course increase your throughput, but this will only help in case the PIX is running at maximum speed for some time already.

What is your interface load on the PIX/internet connection? In case they are below 50% an upgrade of internet access speed will not change anything. It´s a waste instead!

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin