cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Inside Outlook to DMZ Exchange Server

m-raft
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a problem with the "new mail" notification on internal outlook clients receiving mail from an Exchange server on the DMZ. If I use the "send/receive" on the client I am able to get mail, but automatic delivery doesn't work. I think I understand the way the the connections are working (using RPC to negotiate the port pair) but can't seem to get this working. From ethereal it looks like a small udp datagram gets sent from the exchange server to the client when new mail arrive in my in box but I can't figure out what port it uses. I've added an established command:

establish tcp 0 135 permitto udp 1024-65535 permitfrom udp 1024-65535, but haven't been able to test this yet as the location is at a remote site. If that command indeed works, I'd rather not have to use it because of the security implications associated with it. Any Exchane gurus out there that might be able to help.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

wasonce_2000
Level 1
Level 1

I am assuming you are using Exchange 2000 or higher. If you have not installed patch 6332.0 you should install as this issue is listed in the fixes. But if you have try using a access-list x to inside and access xx listed below to your interfaces. The issue with this situation is that Exchange Server and the Outlook client agree to use a randomly chosen UDP port for mail notifications.

access-list x permit udp inside dmz gt 1023

access-list xx permit udp ExchangeServer insideRange gt 1023

Actually the customer is using Exchange 5.5. I know the access-list will work but that is even less secure than the established command. I know I can hard set the ports that Exchange uses for the data store and whatever the other port is called in the registry, and was wondering if I could hard set the UDP port as well.

I agree the acces-list is less secure, but this would

be the only way to receive these notifcations message.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264035&Product=ech

Thanks, I actually just finished reading that article on the microsoft web site as well. I'm going to wait until I can get confirmation from the customer if the established command is working and will post the results. At least with the established command the client needs to contact the server on port 135 first in order for the UDP packet to be allowed. Thanks for the quick replies.

Mike

m-raft
Level 1
Level 1

Just got confirmation from the customer that the established command does work. Still not happy with the security implications though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: