cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing Client removes swap user ability in Windows XP

rdebrino
Level 1
Level 1

Bug CSCdu35458 addresses the fact that installing the VPN software disables the Windows XP Welcome screen and the ability to fast switch between users.

FROM THE Release Notes

'During installation time, the VPN Client adds a line in the registry GinaDLL=CSgina.dll. When this line is added, the Windows XP ''Welcome'' screen

is removed and you lose the ability to ''swap'' users. The CSgina.dll is needed by the VPN Client for its "Start before Logon" feature. When the VPN

Client is uninstalled the ''Welcome'' screen & swap user ability, will be restored.

Microsoft has indicated that the welcome screen and the switch user UI are automatically disabled in the presence of another GINA or if the XP PC joins a

Domain. This can even be seen if the registry contains GinaDLL=MSgina.dll which is Microsoft''s own Gina. They have indicated there is nothing we can do to change this functionality. So users that want to use the "Start before Logon" feature of the VPN Client will have to do without the XP Welcome screen and "switch user" feature of XP.

Since I don't really need the 'Start before logon' capability, I was hoping that I could simply uncheck this option and revert the registry entry ginaDll=CSgina.dll back to the MsGina.dll. After applying this change, I still do not have the ability to fast-switch users.

Has anyone developed a way around this issue?

The release note indicates that replacing the MsGina.dll file with CSgina.dll is what causes this to occur. The reason for the replacement of the ginadll file is

1 Reply 1

rdebrino
Level 1
Level 1

This is the reply I received from support. It works like a champ.

Warning!! Only edit the registry if you are

comfortable doing so. Making an editing mistake in the registry can make your PC unreliable or unusable.

1. Run Regedit (from the Start menu, choose Run.. type

REGEDIT and click OK)

2. In the left pane, click once on "My Computer" so

you are at the top most level of the registry

3. Go to the Edit menu and select Find.. Type in

GinaDLL (case specific) and click on Find Next. It

should find the following registry key:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows

NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

with the following value under it:

Name Type Data

-------- --------- --------

GinaDLL REG_SZ csgina.dll <- this is what the Cisco VPN Client adds

4. Delete the entire value "GinaDLL". (IMPORTANT!!

Make sure you don't delete the entire key called

Winlogon!!!) Windows XP does NOT contain a GinaDLL

value by default.

5. Exit from the registry and reboot the computer.

Upon reboot, you should see the Welcome screen and

after logging in, you should see the Switch User

feature.

__________________________________________________________________________________

This will work for people who don't use the "Start

before Logon" feature but for those that do use it,

the "Start before Logon" feature will use what we call "fall-back mode" which is not as elegant as when the Client's csgina.DLL is installed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: