Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

interface is down, line protocol is up

hello

I have a failover PIX 535 running os version 7.01; it was not able to synchronize and i found that an interface shows the following upon sho interface:

Interface Ethernet2 "testVlan", is down, line protocol is up

have anyone seen the interface down, line up before

btw, the interface connects to a huawei 6500 switch and the huawei interface shows up state; i used another interface on the switch just in case, i restarted the pix several times, i made it operate without the primary pix, and of course shut and un-shut the interface ....

one more question, is there anything similar to "keepalive 0" on the pix, thought the oposite interface is up/up, but just as info.?

Regards

Bassam

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: interface is down, line protocol is up

The PIX is preconfigured to autodetect the speed and duplex settings on an interface. However, there are several things that can cause the autonegotiation process to fail, resulting in either speed or duplex mismatches (and performance issues). For mission-critical network infrastructure, it is Cisco's overall policy to manually hard-code the speed and duplex on each interface so there is no chance for error. These devices generally do not move around, so if you set them up properly to begin with, you should not have to change them.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008009491c.shtml

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content