cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Firewall for 2600 router

dstone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Does any one have any information on how the IOS firewall performs. We were told by one of our consultants that when you put the IOS Firewall software on your box that it stops perfroming routing capabilities. IS that true?

5 Replies 5

ajd
Level 1
Level 1

Of course not, the Firewall Feature set is a 'compliment' to what exists already, which essentially is an operating system designed to route ip packets.

All is does is take a Router and give it enhancements not take them away.

BTW, hope that consultant is not setting up your routers or trying to sell you a seperate firewall =)

arousch
Level 1
Level 1

I would get new 'consultants.' They are absolutely incorrect.

cjacinto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

See link below that describes how the IOS firewall works.

ttp://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fsecur_c/ftrafwl/scfcbac.htm

And by using the IOS Firewall feature set you don't

stop the router from doing any routing. You are basically defining rules on how and what sort of traffic gets through your router.

robertgile
Level 1
Level 1

I use a 2611 with VPN tunnels back to my corporate office and CBAC (IOS Firewall) at all of my remote sites. I highly recommend it for any small to medium office location.

MATT HILL
Level 1
Level 1

Only if you enter the command "no ip routing"...

Seriously, the IOS Firewall Feature set is a feature set, just like getting IP Plus feature set or any other... It does not subtract anything from the original (IP only) Feature set, but only adds extra features.