cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS to PIX VPN (both behind cable modems) - bridging??

george
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of setting up LAN to LAN VPN between Cisco831 and ASA5510. I thought I did everything needed but I had no luck connecting two LANs. I got Cisco TAC involved and they did some research for a week or so and told me that my cable modem(s) needs to do bridging. This is the first time I heard anything about cable modem bridging so I thought maybe someone can explain to me what that is. And does the situation get more complicated if these are two different ISPs? Thanks...

1 Reply 1

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Bridge mode allows your router to initiate the connection to the ISP as opposed to the modem. In this configuration, your router passes PPPoE authentication information, requests DHCP, etc. The configuration will vary based on the brand of your modem, but there should be a web interface that will offer you this option. If you do a web search for "Modem brand bridge mode", you should find the steps.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: