cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip domain name

rminicuc
Level 1
Level 1

Can I setup a router with SSH access without specifying ip domain name ?

Does it defaults to something ?

If I don't have one, can I just pick whatever name ?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

to configure ssh, it requires creating rsa keys, which in fact rely on the domain name. so you cannot configure ssh access without having a domain name.

no, by default it's blank. the domain name you configure on the router is local significant, it's not going to share/sync with any other device. so you can make up what you want.

one thing needs to be noticed is that the rsa key relies on domain name, so whenever you change the domain name on the router, you would have to re-generate rsa key for ssh access.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

to configure ssh, it requires creating rsa keys, which in fact rely on the domain name. so you cannot configure ssh access without having a domain name.

no, by default it's blank. the domain name you configure on the router is local significant, it's not going to share/sync with any other device. so you can make up what you want.

one thing needs to be noticed is that the rsa key relies on domain name, so whenever you change the domain name on the router, you would have to re-generate rsa key for ssh access.