Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

ip domain name

Can I setup a router with SSH access without specifying ip domain name ?

Does it defaults to something ?

If I don't have one, can I just pick whatever name ?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: ip domain name

to configure ssh, it requires creating rsa keys, which in fact rely on the domain name. so you cannot configure ssh access without having a domain name.

no, by default it's blank. the domain name you configure on the router is local significant, it's not going to share/sync with any other device. so you can make up what you want.

one thing needs to be noticed is that the rsa key relies on domain name, so whenever you change the domain name on the router, you would have to re-generate rsa key for ssh access.

1 REPLY
Gold

Re: ip domain name

to configure ssh, it requires creating rsa keys, which in fact rely on the domain name. so you cannot configure ssh access without having a domain name.

no, by default it's blank. the domain name you configure on the router is local significant, it's not going to share/sync with any other device. so you can make up what you want.

one thing needs to be noticed is that the rsa key relies on domain name, so whenever you change the domain name on the router, you would have to re-generate rsa key for ssh access.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content