cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSEC ESP Bad Pad Length

chrismurphy
Level 1
Level 1

I have a PIX 501 with 3DES using the EZVPN in network extension mode to a 3005 VPN concentrator. The concentrator is logging this error from the PIX. Can anyone tell me what this is, and should I be woried?

21902 02/06/2003 18:22:25.300 SEV=3 IPSEC/19 RPT=55 68.xxx.xxx.xxx IPSEC ESP bad pad length (8) >= buffer length (8)

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is bug CSCea08566, nothing to worry about. You can check it in Bug Toolkit here:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Bugtool/launch_bugtool.pl

Is it certain that this is nothing to worry about? I get an _awful_ lot of them. The bug seems to be an open caveat - it says duplicate of CSCdz33769, which says resolved in 6.3.1.

I have 6.3.1 and still see an awful lot of these messages. Does the duplicate being fixed mean the former is also fixed?

And we are having problems with our VB SQL app used by our PIX 501 clients tunnelling through our 3030 to a SQL server here. We wonder if this message indicates anything useful?

If this message truly is irrelevant, how can I turn it's severity down so it stops cluttering the logs?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: