cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSEC initiator ID

k.mcgregor
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to create a VPN tunnel between a cisco router and a Nortel contivity. I don't want to have to specify the end point (cisco router) ip address within the contivity because I need this to be dynamic. On the contivity box it requires me to provide an "Initiator ID". I ran some traces and it appears that the Cisco router is sending its outside interface IP address as the initiator ID. Since this IP address is from DHCP, I do not know what it will be. Is there a way to configure the cisco router to send some type of password, or router name, or anything other than an ip address as the intiator ID? If so, I can then configure the contivity box to look for that value.

1 Reply 1

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

Generally the VPN client uses the IP address as the Initiator ID. If you would like to change it, you could try and check if there are other options to do the same. Check the 'Connect using secure tunnel ID type' options.

I haven't tried it though. You could also consider assigning a static IP address to the interface if nothing else works.

If a Cisco VPN concentrator is used with a Router running DHCP, the tunnel can be created although the IP address of the outside interface is learnt dynamically.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/vpn3k_iosdhcp.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: