cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPsec tunnel acl

smolz
Level 4
Level 4

If I create a crypto map there is the command match addres (acl). My question is; Is this acl defining the only traffic that will be allowed down the tunnel or will other traffic be allowed down the tunnel and just not encrypted.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Chris and Daniel,

All traffic permitted by the crypto acl will be directed through the IPSec tunnel.

The rest of the traffic will not use the tunnel, but will be transmitted over the link.

"permit ip any any" is allowed on crypto acls like on any other acls. Its use is dependent on how you want to define your interesting traffic.

Cheers:

Istvan

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

It defines the traffic to be encrypted over the tunnel. Therefore, any traffic not defined will not enter the tunnel.

is permit ip any any valid for a crypto acl if more than 1 lan to lan is configured?

Hi Chris and Daniel,

All traffic permitted by the crypto acl will be directed through the IPSec tunnel.

The rest of the traffic will not use the tunnel, but will be transmitted over the link.

"permit ip any any" is allowed on crypto acls like on any other acls. Its use is dependent on how you want to define your interesting traffic.

Cheers:

Istvan

if I have crypto acl's like this:

acl A permit host 1.1.1.1 host 2.2.2.2

acl B permit ip any any

All the traffic will get put on the tunnel that acl B is applied and no traffic will go across the A tunnel - correct?

Hi Daniel,

If you apply acl B to the crypto map than acl B will allow all ip traffic through the IPSec tunnel, according to this configuration.

If you apply acl A to the crypto map than acl A will allow traffic from host 1.1.1.1 to host 2.2.2.2 through the IPSec tunnel. All other traffic will go through the link but not through the IPSec tunnel (will not be protected).

One addition: acl A should be

acl A permit ip host 1.1.1.1 host 2.2.2.2 (an extended ip acl)

Within one crypto map there can be only 1 acl (though this 1 acl can have multiple acl entries).

Cheers:

Istvan

Just to correct my wording:

Within one crypto map STATEMENT there can be only 1 acl.

If you have several statements within your crypto map, you can have several different acls within each statement, but all these statements refer to different IPSec tunnels.

You can use this type of configuration if you have a headend router with several remote branches needing different IPSec tunnels.

Cheers:

Istvan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: