cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSec VPN between 3000 concentrator & Win2k Server

ggolding
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having trouble with getting this working. I have read & followed the instructions from http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/707/2000.html & got the tunnel working, but cannot seem to get data through the tunnel. Both the 3000 & the Win2k server show an established ipsec tunnel, but I can't ping or ftp through. Lab setup for testing this is as follows

remote lan ------- Win2k Server -------- internet router ----- 3000 ------ main LAN.

I have also found that I cannot initiate the tunnel from the remote LAN. Tunnel using MD5 & DES, Win2k running SP3. Trace routes fail at the at the VPN device nearest the client workstation.

2 Replies 2

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

I haven't worked on this setup and I have some second hand information that you'll need to cross check. All the same... here goes. It seems that you need to check if the network behind the concentrator is flat. If you have a single subnet behind the concentrator (a flat network) and if you are trying to form the tunnel from the inside network, you will be able to form the tunnel but not pass any traffic through it. This happens since the remote network you are talking to would be local to the NIC and would not go through the VPN Tunnel

I did have that as a possilbe issue at first, however I reconfigured for this.

Did further testing on Friday using a sniffer & found Win2K not forwarding properly. Re-built the Win2k server WITHOUT an services packs & it worked 1st time with same configuration details. Will be further testing this week with progressively applying service packs in order to find out the break point.