cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSec VPN THROUGH a PIX

mhanderson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a situation where I will have a 2600 with the Firewall Feature Set behind a PIX (don't ask why, please, plus the PIX does not have IPSec licensing). How do I configure the outside interface ACLs to pass IKE, SA, and IPSec traffic to the inner 2600 and sucessfully setup a VPN between an outside client and the 2600? I plan to use static NATing of a public address to a private inside.

VPN CLIENT <--> Internet <--> PIX <--> 2600 <--> Internal Network

TIA,

Mark Anderson

4 Replies 4

jmia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mark -

Is the 2600 being used as a Firewall as well as the PIX?

And can you post both the config of PIX and 2600 please, but pls. remember to exclude 'real' IP's and passwords.

Thanks --

The pix does not have a vpn license?

Why not simply generate your free activation key for IPSec on CCO then? Then you have your license for PIX and this would make things far much easier and less vulnerable to attacks :-)

DES license as well as 3DES license are free of charge and can be simply activated by putting in a new activation key. Activation key for DES can be generated on the following URL:

https://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Software/FormManager/formgenerator.pl?pid=221&fid=301

for 3DES activation key go to:

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Software/FormManager/formgenerator.pl?pid=221&fid=324

If you really not want to use the pix for terminating the VPN you have open protcol 51 on your pix (simply put 51 in place where normally you say ip) and you have to open UDP port 500. That should be it, I think. But I do not recommend this setup.

Kind Regards,

Leo

Thanks for both of the replies. I did not know that the DES and 3DES licenses were free of charge. I'll look at that first. I don't expect too much VPN traffic (maybe 2 simultaneous tunnels max) so there shouldn't be too much of a cpu load on the PIX (515E). The 2600 does have the encryption accelerator card on it, and the PIX does not. Is the AIM card interchangeable between the 2600 and the PIX?

TIA,

Mark

Actually, it is protocol 50 and not 51 that you need to open for IPSEC. UDP 500 as well.