cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPX on PIX

abbas.ali
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer who has installed PIX between two private networks. Wireless is on outside interface of PIX, and LAN is on inside interface of PIX. They run some IPX applications, and wants wireless users to access those application. The question is does PIX support IPX so it can pass wireless traffic coming from PIX outside interface going into the inside network.

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

shannong
Level 4
Level 4

The Pix is IP only.

To pass IPX traffic through the Pix or any other IP only device, simply tunnel the IPX traffic inside IP. With Cisco routers this can be down with a tunnel interface.

Thanks ! but the problem is that the PIX is used between two private networks. The outside interface is going the switch where it is connected to the Aironet accesspoint for wireless users, and the inside interface is going directly to the catalyst switch. There is no router in this scenerios. So, I guess either we will have to install routers or no IPX.

Just for curiosity, if I connect outside interface to a router for tunnel support, don't I need to enable tunneling on a PIX also. Does PIX support tunnel interfaces.

Cisco uses GRE to implement their tunnel interfaces. Therefore, you would need to open up protocol number 47. Note that is a protocol number and not port number.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card