cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPX traffic thru PIX firewall

anik
Level 1
Level 1

I have a PIX 515UR with some IPX (Novell) clients on the Inside network and some IPX (Novell) Servers on one of the DMZs. I want to establish connectivity between the two. Can anyone help ?

3 Replies 3

brford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The PIX is a IP firewall. That means that you can't pass Novell IPX traffic through the PIX unless it is encapsulated in IP. You can do that using a GRE tunnel but you'd need to have routers on each segment create the tunnels and encapsulate and send / receive the traffic.

Another solution might be to add another network interface to the Novell server and attach it to an internal network. Just make sure that routing is disabled on the Novell server.

Brian Ford | brford@cisco.com | brford@yahoo.com | 51 75 61 6c 69 74 79 20 6d 65 61 6e 73 20 64 6f 69 6e 67 20 69 74 20 72 69 67 68 74 20 77 68 65 6e 20 6e 6f 20 6f 6e 65 20 69 73 20 6c 6f 6f 6b 69 6e 67 2e | Email me when you figure this out.

mutihoming servers to an inside and an outside (DMZ) network is a bad idea.

you may want to consider upgrading your netware servers to netware 5; which can use IP.

faresn
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings all,

The way we fixed this problem on our network was to deploy Novell's Compatibility mode servers. We placed one on the outside nterface, another on the inside interface. The servers did the IPX/IP conversions. Let me know if you need more info.

HTH,

Nabil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card