Views
Helpful
Replies

IPX via a ADSL VPN

maurice.walsh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need to set up a VPN over ADSL for a customer, but it has to be able to carry IP and IPX (for Novell server access).

I was thinking of installing an 827H, but I see I can't do IPX on the 827H, but there is a IOS for IPX for the 827 (c820-k9nosy6-mz.122-2.T4.bin

IP/IPX/FW PLUS IPSEC 3DES).

Has anyone used the 827 for IPX via a GRE tunnell encrypted using IPSEC ? What's the alternative.

Thanks

Maurice

5 Replies 5

jfrahim
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Maurice,

If you want to send IPX through the encrypted tunnel, you are limited in your options. Your best bet is to run GRE over IPSec. The other alternative that I could think of is to have VPN5K concentrator and run IPX through it

Hope that helps

Jazib

GRE over IPSEC is the way I was planning to go, but what broadband routers support IPX ?

I was under the impression that the 827 (which supports IPX) has been replaced by the 827H (which doesn't support IPX), The 831 looks good but it doesn't support IPX either.

Is there a another model of Broadband or Ethernet router that supports IPX, GRE, IPSEC, 3DES and FW ?

In addition of 827 router, you could also use 1751 and 2600 routers with the DSL modules to achieve the same thing

Jazib

The 827 would be ideal, but the IOS version with IPX is only 12.2.2T4, when I was testing the 827H I had to upgrade to 12.2.8-YM to get some of the crypto functions to work. I can't remember what functions wouldn't work I may have to reload an old IOS version to check.

Is this going to cause me a problem ?

Before I waste my time downgrading my 827H to 12.2.2.T4 can anyone confirm something.

if a Crypto command doesn't work on 12.2.2.T4 on a 827H am I correct in presuming that the same command won't work on a 827 with the same IOS ?