cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is ASA 8.0 ready for prime time yet?

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

I'm getting ready to migrate our 3030 concentrator to an ASA5540 which came with 7.2 software. We will only be using the ASA for IPSec VPN (client and lan-2-lan) and SSL client access. No firewall useage at all as this will be in parallel with our main firewall.

Should I stick with 7.2 or is it recommended to move to 8.0 yet?

2 Replies 2

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

7.2 has been out for a while and has gotten a lot of exposure in the field. So, if you do not need any new features in the 8.0 code, stick to 7.2 on the ASA. For example, if you need to turn on EIGRP on the ASA, then you have to go to 8.0.

Please refer the below release notes for new features.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/release/notes/asarn80.html#wp229690

Personally, I am a person who likes to run a mature version unless I run into a software caveat or something that is fixed in the latest release.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Arul

** Please rate all helpful posts **

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I agree with Arul. I've been using 7.2(2) in ASA and PIX for firewalling, IPSec VPN, SSL VPN, S2S VPN without any glitch. I have encountere a lot of problem with its predecessors though. In my experience, 7.2(2) is stable. However, it all depends on the feature that you need though.

Regards,

Dandy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card