Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Is Cisco stepping up to the plate for IDS signature updates?

Is it my imagination or is Cisco rolling out signature updates a bit more often over the last couple of months, especially when a new Micro$oft exploit is found?? If this is the case, and I hope it is, then Cisco stands to add real value to thier IDS line. I am not saying that Cisco should enter the Anti-Virus game by way of their IDS line (hmmmm...an interesting thought) but if they are indeed getting out quick signatures whenever a new exploit is found then I for one say " Fan-friggin'-tastic". I love the thought of being able to catch the new exploits at the gateway ASAP. Not that one should ignore patching but any self-respecting admin is going to test a patch first before it gets put into production and that simply takes time. If the AV vendors get cracking on new signatures right away why shouldn't Cisco? Not as a replacement for AV but giving the end-user multiple levels of protection. Just my 2 cents. Anyone else with any input on this?

1 REPLY
Gold

Re: Is Cisco stepping up to the plate for IDS signature updates?

Although as a general rule I agree with you (the more frequent the sig updates the better),

given our experience with applying updates to the

Cisco IDS environment, it's a mixed blessing. Also, if you're using a SIM tool, it may be better to wait until the SIM also has the signature (which in the case of the one we use can be months).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content