Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

isolating two networks on one machine

Hello, I am an engineer... but not a network engineer. In my laboratory, I have a number of devices, mostly running various versions of embedded windows. These are not computers per se, but they do communicate with a computer via ethernet using TCP/IP protocol. This works all well and good as this computer along with the variety of devices connected to it are on their own isolated network. However, I now have a need to also connect this computer to a corporate network. I am concerned about the possibility of access to my "non computer" devices from outside of my lab , and also concerned that my "non-computer" devices may adversely affect the enterprise network. Is there a way to allow this single computer to access both my lab network and the enterprise network simultaneously and yet to maintain isolation between the two nets? Is it sufficient to simply use two NICS? Do I need hardware firewalls? If so, what kind, how many? where would they reside in the two networks? Any and all help will be appreciated.

2 REPLIES

Re: isolating two networks on one machine

Hi

do clarify with the computer whether u need to have communication established between the ent n/w and the devices ??

or else you are planning to access both the ent n/w and the devices from the computer ??

regds

Re: isolating two networks on one machine

Thank you for taking an interest. Basically, the "devices" are instruments that make measurements and then communicate those measurements to the computer. The computer will be used to do some analysis of the measurements and then the results are shared throughout the enterprise. So, the computer in question serves two purposes. First to command the actions of the instruments, collect and analyze their data (using the instrment network) and secondly to share the results of these measurements to interested parties throughout the enterprise. Likewise, the security concern is twofold. First, It would be unnaacceptable for someone to remotely take control of an experiment and secondly, the IT guys in my facility (who haven't been very helpful btw) are concerned that these devices, which are unfamiliar to them, might somehow negatively impact their enterprise network.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content