Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with Mac VPN client

voodooskunk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. Hoping somebody here can help me.

When I connect my Cisco VPN client to my work network, the connection is established fine but I lose my internet connection. When the VPN client disconnects the internet connection starts to work again. Also, even though the VPN client says it's connected, I can't see any work machines in my network neighbourhood.

I'm using Cisco VPN client 4.9.00 (0050) on Mac OS X 10.4.8 on an Intel Macbook Pro. I connect to the internet through the built-in ethernet connection. Haven't tried connecting through Airport yet.

Also, when my VPN client is disconnected, System Prefs > Network reports "Built-in Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 10.7.57.18. You are connected to the Internet via Built-in Ethernet." When I connect the client, this message changes to "Built-in Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 10.7.57.18."

Hope somebody can help...

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

This might be due to conflict between Intel Macbook Pro and Built-in-Ehternet card this normally haapens.Try to upgrade the firmware version of Intel and Ethernet.

tomsimpson
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue on a powerpc mac (PPC - MacMini).

Also, I've noticed that if I try to ping the machine I'm trying to get to via VPN, I get a " no route to host" error message.

The same config works fine under XP :-(

HELP!

Thanks for the responses. The client seems to work well through an airport connection. I will see if I can get a firmware update for the ethernet port. If not, the only solution looks to be connecting the client through an airport internet connection...

I have the same problem for my client users. I will try the firmware. Also a side note I can get to websites on the Internet by typing in the IP, but not the straight name. Does the NIC card problem translate to some kind of DNS issue as well? My Windows machines have no problem, they can access their local Internet while on the corporate VPN with no issues.