Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

%L2_AGING-SP-2-DEC_EN_FAIL: Failed to initialize Distributed EtherChannel

Hi Sir,

I have an FWSM (running app software 2.3(3)) installed on a Catalyst 6513 (running Native IOS 12.2(18)SXD6).

I'm getting the following error message from the switch quite frequently, especially when adding SVIs or assigning VLANs to the FWSM:

%L2_AGING-SP-2-DEC_EN_FAIL: Failed to initialize Distributed EtherChannel

Recommended action is to remove the monitor session reserved for service modules:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Support/Errordecoder/index.cgi?action=search&index=all&locale=en&query=%25L2_AGING-SP-2-DEC_EN_FAIL%3A+Failed+to+initialize+Distributed+EtherChannel&counter=0&paging=5&links=reference&sa=Submit

A more detailed explanation can be found in the FWSM config guide, as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------

For each FWSM in a switch using Cisco IOS software, the SPAN reflector feature is enabled. This feature enables multicast traffic (and other traffic that requires central rewrite engine) to be switched when coming from the FWSM. The SPAN reflector feature uses one SPAN session. To disable this feature, enter the following command:

Router(config)# no monitor session servicemodule

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm interested to know the following:

(1) Any operational impact, as far as the FWSM is concerned, if I don't disable the SPAN reflector feature?

(2) If I disable the SPAN reflector, any operational impact to the switch, FWSM, or other service modules?

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: %L2_AGING-SP-2-DEC_EN_FAIL: Failed to initialize Distributed

SPAN is used if you want to monitor switch traffic on a port or on a VLAN. If you have an IDS or any network sniffing device used on your network, then you propably use SPAN to capture the traffic and send to the sniffing device. If you are not using anything like this, then I guess SPAN can be disabled. Any more thoughts on this?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content