Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LAN-based Failover

The only information I am getting on Cisco is that you CANNOT use a crossover cable. The only possible connection type is through a hub or switch. Can anyone, please, tell me why not a crossover??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: LAN-based Failover

There isn't a restriction as such. As some of you know, its works. Current design assume there is a switch/hub in between, so failover can identify when a interface failed and act accordingly.

For example, if PIX_a's lan failover interface failed, then PIX-b can take over as active, but can't do that if they are connect

using cross cable as PIX-b will see its interface failed as well. Most likely, customer will use a switch/hub

in between to extend the distance between the 2 PIXes when running LAN-Based fover.

Hope this helps,

yatin

7 REPLIES
Silver

I see no reason why you could not use a crossover cable :-)

In fact, I have a running configuration in here, with crossover cable :-)

well, i really do not understand why there is such a restriction on Cisco :(

And you don't have a Stateful Failover, right? :)

Silver

Klaudia,

As I mentioned, I have a PIX Failover (Statefull failover)

And it works fine with a crossover cable.

As Yatin also stated it works fine, but indeed, in case of a real hardware failure, when you are running LAN based Statefull failover, the failover unit will see the line protocol go down on the cross-over cable, and you could have a problem. That´s why Cisco advises to use a switch in between.

But, if you use the PIX Serial failover calble, and a crossover cable for the Statefull failover connection (as I do) there will be not such an issue IMHO, cause if the primary unit fails, the failover unit will see this happening via the serial failover cable (if configured correctly of course). So, the failover unit will become active, but the interface, which the crossover cable is connected to, will remain in state waiting, but that´s not important then :-)

Allready had a burndown of the primay unit and customers did not notice a thing, so, I haven´t been screening it, but it seems to me it is working as it should. If you want I can send you the part of my config, so you could check it out.

Kind Regards,

Leo

This is a great answer for me! Thanx tons! If you see a possibility, I would still like to see the relevant part of your config from the LAN-based Fover as you have suggested...

Silver

Klaudia,

Here's the relevant part of my config:

nameif ethernet0 outside security0

nameif ethernet1 inside security100

nameif ethernet2 dmz1 security10

nameif ethernet3 dmz2 security15

nameif ethernet4 dmz3 security15

nameif ethernet5 StatefullFailover security1

interface ethernet0 100full

interface ethernet1 100full

interface ethernet2 100full

interface ethernet3 100full

interface ethernet4 100full

interface ethernet5 100full

ip address outside x.x.x.254 255.255.255.0

ip address inside x.x.x.254 255.255.255.0

ip address dmz1 x.x.x.254 255.255.255.0

ip address dmz2 x.x.x.254 255.255.255.0

ip address dmz3 x.x.x.254 255.255.255.0

ip address StatefullFailover 10.10.1.254 255.255.255.0

failover

failover timeout 0:00:00

failover poll 15

failover ip address outside x.x.x.253

failover ip address inside x.x.x.253

failover ip address dmz1 x.x.x.253

failover ip address dmz2 x.x.x.253

failover ip address dmz3 x.x.x.253

failover ip address StatefullFailover 10.10.1.253

failover link StatefullFailover

failover replication http

Here's the topology:

PIX-A <--- crosscable (StatefullFailover) ---> PIX-B

PIX-A <--- Serial Failove cable ---> PIX-B

Kind Regards,

Leo

Cisco Employee

There isn't a restriction as such. As some of you know, its works. Current design assume there is a switch/hub in between, so failover can identify when a interface failed and act accordingly.

For example, if PIX_a's lan failover interface failed, then PIX-b can take over as active, but can't do that if they are connect

using cross cable as PIX-b will see its interface failed as well. Most likely, customer will use a switch/hub

in between to extend the distance between the 2 PIXes when running LAN-Based fover.

Hope this helps,

yatin

Excellent! Your answer is absolutely helpful, thanks a lot!!! :)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content