Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Lan to Lan and Domain login

We've got a lan to lan tunnel up and running. We have IP connectivity, remote control software runs between sites, NSLookups, and NBstat are fine. When we try to add a local PC to a remote NT (2000) domain, we time out. Is there a tech doc out there for this, or has someone run into this? Thanks

5 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Lan to Lan and Domain login

The doc at http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/vpn-net-hood.html deals with a similar problem seen when using VPN clients. I feel it should be of help to you too.

Silver

Are you running WINS at both ends, and replicating between them? How about DNS?

We are not running WINS locally. The machines in question are in site 1. The WINS, DNS, and DC's are in Site 2. I am routing all requests for site 2 through our VPN concentrator. The L2L tunnel is up and NSLookups and NBstats are working, we can map network drives, and we can ping. However, when we try to add these to the domain in site 2, we get the domain controller cannot be found. The article from the reply above looks like it's for a PC using the VPN client, but it mentions mapping a drive to get the network prompt. I guess this is our next test.

Silver

Get a local WINS server is your best bet. A quick hack to get machines on the domain is to give them a lmhosts file, which includes the domain controller's name and ip. look in \winnt\system32\drivers\etc for an example. Edit it, save as lmhosts, do a nbtstat -R from the cmd prompt, and you should be able to add the machine to the domain. Basically, without WINS, pcs in site 1 likely cannot find the domain controller.

Sounds like good advice. Site 1 is rather small, and I can probably get one setup in the next day or two. Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies