Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN User access and accounting via PPP

arroyob
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking for something that allow to have LAN users registered on Radius before accessing LAN. I was thinking about PPPoE protocol but it seems that it has been deployed over ATM interfaces for PPPoE server (router 7200,10000 or Cisco 6400).

Would it be possible to have PPPoE server protocol running over router Ethernet interface or which method can be used for authentication / authorization of ethernet users.

Regards and thanks

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to look at 802.1q, a new standard for authenticating users before they get access to the LAN. This comes inbuilt in Windows XP and I believe MS is talking about releasing patches for 2K. You also need to configure it on the switches which our later ones support.

I'm certainly no expert on it, you might want to repost your question to the LAN Switching forum, mention you're interested in 802.1q and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for your reply but I have yet running a W2K with 802.1x and it is working fine for authenticating user and enable Cat3550 port; but I am not able to have user authorization and accounting on taking advantage of the radius availability.

So I want something that give all possibility for LAN users access.