Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Looking for best solution: small office - VPN in, client out to Contivity

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the best solution for a client with a small office. I am a bit out of my comfort zone here... I have experience with the PIX 525/535 (NAT, not PAT), and 3030, but not with setting up VPN client connections to a PIX 501 on a DSL connection with only 1 IP address available. Any help is much appreciated.

The client has a small office with 10 users. They have a DSL connection with 1 static IP address assigned. They wish for two people to have the ability to VPN into their office. They also have 2 internal users who need to connect to a Nortel Contivity 1500 via the Nortel client software from their office.

The client had a Linksys "router" which is gone now. I was looking at a PIX 501 to provide the VPN connection into their office, but I think I will have problems with the 501 and 1 IP address as far as the Nortel client software is concerned. Would I be better off with a Cisco router?

Thanks in advance,

David H.

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Looking for best solution: small office - VPN in, client out

Their probably doesn't need to be any interactivity with the VPN from the router, just NAT from there.

Re: Looking for best solution: small office - VPN in, client out

Install a PIX 501 with an external switch [501 only has four ethernet]; They are preconfigured to do PAT with the address it learns [DHCP] from the DSL modem...it is also a DHCP server by default. You can also configure it to allow incoming VPN clients...It is also cheap at around $600 [I think]...

RobertG...

Views
Helpful
Replies