Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for best solution: small office - VPN in, client out to Contivity

sitedr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the best solution for a client with a small office. I am a bit out of my comfort zone here... I have experience with the PIX 525/535 (NAT, not PAT), and 3030, but not with setting up VPN client connections to a PIX 501 on a DSL connection with only 1 IP address available. Any help is much appreciated.

The client has a small office with 10 users. They have a DSL connection with 1 static IP address assigned. They wish for two people to have the ability to VPN into their office. They also have 2 internal users who need to connect to a Nortel Contivity 1500 via the Nortel client software from their office.

The client had a Linksys "router" which is gone now. I was looking at a PIX 501 to provide the VPN connection into their office, but I think I will have problems with the 501 and 1 IP address as far as the Nortel client software is concerned. Would I be better off with a Cisco router?

Thanks in advance,

David H.

2 Replies 2

ssoberlik
Level 4
Level 4

Their probably doesn't need to be any interactivity with the VPN from the router, just NAT from there.

robertgile
Level 1
Level 1

Install a PIX 501 with an external switch [501 only has four ethernet]; They are preconfigured to do PAT with the address it learns [DHCP] from the DSL modem...it is also a DHCP server by default. You can also configure it to allow incoming VPN clients...It is also cheap at around $600 [I think]...

RobertG...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: