Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Losing ability to pass email through 2600 after a period of time

Hi, I have a 2600 router which all of a sudden tends to drop incoming email packets after a period of time (like an hour or two). The only temporary solution is to reset the router and then it passes email for a while until it stops passing again. Does anyone know what could be the problem. Help, very much appreciated.

1 REPLY

Re: Losing ability to pass email through 2600 after a period of

That sounds really strange. Before I'd say this problem is with the router I check the smtp server first.

When you enter one of these email outage periods, try to ping, run a traceroute and then telnet to the smtp server(port 25) and see what you get. Try this from the router itself and from another subnet.

If you have CAR enabled, perhaps your hitting your bandwidth thresh hold. But even then the fact thats its a tcp connection should ensure a reliable connection. How did you arrive at the conclusion that you only dropping tcp packets on port 25??

Overall if the router is routing packets during this email outage period, I'd strongly investigate the host as opposed to the router. Check if the host/router has memory or cpu shortages, or if the server has a bunch of half open/closed connections(man netstat on the host or show ip sockets on the router).

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content