Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Lost Password

My customer gave me a PIX 506 to configure for his office. No one knows the password. I found a document with directions on how to reset the password (Password Recovery and AAA Configuration Recovery Procedure for the PIX). I follow the direction in this doc.

Immediately after you power on the PIX Firewall and the startup messages appear, send a BREAK character or press the ESC key. The monitor> prompt is displayed. If needed, type ? (question mark) to list the available commands.

Use the interface command to specify which interface the ping traffic should use. For floppiless PIXes with only two interfaces, the monitor command defaults to the inside interface.

When I type in interface 0 I receive an error:

monitor> interface 0

0: i8255X @ PCI(bus:0 dev:13 irq:10)

1: i8255X @ PCI(bus:0 dev:14 irq:7 )

Ethernet auto negotiation timed out.

Ethernet port 0 could not be initialized.

How do I fix this problem? Any help would be great.

Cisco Secure PIX Firewall Version 5.1 (2)

Re: Lost Password

The interface that you specify cannot be gig interfaces, only ethernet or FA interfaces. Do confirm that this is indeed the case. Next, this is a little un-conventional but power cycling the PIX might help. I guess that since your PIX is not on your production network, trying this should not be a problem. Could you also try the process using ethernet 1? Another possibility is a duplex/speed negotiation problems. Try to put a switch or a hub in-between the tftp server and the PIX. If you are using a cross-over cable, it is likely that the PIX can not properly negotiate with the TFTP server NIC. Besides suggesting this, all that I can think of is that your ethernet port is damaged.

CreatePlease to create content