cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mapping Drives through VPN tunnel

wraights
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to map drives through a VPN tunnel. I was able to do at another location but I am not able to do it at this new setup that I did.

I can create the VPN tunnel, and ping freely on the network, but I cannot map the drive. I trying to map the drive it by IP address not by name (since broadcasting doesn't go across a VPN tunnel).

The machine that I am attempting to map to is running XP as well as the box that I am mapping FROM. They both have the same users setup with the passwords and all that.

Are there any ideas on this? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

15 Replies 15

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

If you are using a Microsoft OS what happens if you go start, run and then enter \\IP address while you are connected to the VPN?

It doesn't do anything. I tried that when you wrote that and it is just sitting there with an hour glass. The computer isn't locked up but it doesn't show that process running either in the task manager. Weird...

It came back actually and said "network path is not found".

That is the same thing it states when I am trying to map the drive.

Any ideas???

Name resolution issue maybe? Can you ping by computer name instead of IP address? If not then where are you specifying WINS?

You can't do name resolution over a VPN tunnel because that is broadcast across the network and broadcasting can't be done over the VPN tunnel (that traffic is not allowed in the tunnel). Do you think that it could be a problem with having a NIC installed on that box? Maybe (since it says the network path is not found) it is trying to go out through the gateway that is established on the NIC. I don't know...I appreciate your thoughts on this.

If you have wins setup on the workstation in a hybrid mode, you can resolve via wins over vpn. The only way to configure the ws to be in this mode is either by registry entry or from a dhcp server (netbios type = 0x8) option. In hybrid mode, the workstation will attemp a direct connection to the wins server for resolution. Then if resolution failed, broadcast.

A strange function of ms explorer is that over a vpn you cannot type in \\machinename(or ip)\share when browsing in explorer. You must use the tools..map network drive.. menu option.

Even though it brings up the same window, I can't use the right-click on My Computer, Map Network Drive? That is weird. I am going to try those out and see if they work. Thanks for the advice!

You CAN get to a system through VPN by going start, run and entereing \\IPaddress. Did you ever try to ping by name?

I couldn't care less if I can ping by name. But I can if I put that IP address in my local host file.

I just want to map a drive. Why in the world can I not do that? I can't even telnet to a print server running on this site (as a test). I can ping everywhere, but I can't seem to do anything else.

Do y'all have any other thoughts on this??? PLEASE HELP ME! I am about to pass out trying to figure this out!

Thank You.

wraights
Level 1
Level 1

I am not able to go to start, run and entering \\IP address. I cannot ping by name...(unless of course I add that to my host file).

I don't *think* that I have to make any other configuration changes on the firewall.

One thing...I was using dial-up to test the VPN connection and when I did 'ipconfig \all' it said that the dialup connection had NetBios over TCP/IP disabled, so on that dialup connection I enabled File and Print Sharing and reconnected and it didn't show that it was disabled anymore, but I still wasn't able to do it.

I tried it over cable modem and it didn't work either...

I am trying to help you but you need to work with me. If you can or can't ping by name that points to certain problems or others! jeez! What OS are you running that you are not able to go start, run,\\ipaddress?!?!

I am sorry...It came out worse than I thought...

I cannot ping by name in W2K or XP (I tried it out on both). May I ask why it matters about the name? Whether or not it does name resolution, it should be able to connect using IP address right?

For name resolution. In order to elimainte other issues and target in on the problem. Yes. IP address SHOULD work...

So, Sir, do you have any idea why I can't do it using IP address? This is killing me because I can't figure it out.

Do I need to have some access-lists or conduit permits or something????

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...I am dying here...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: